Crisp, light and mild, this dish is a summertime go-to.
Serves 10 to 12
- 2 T plus 1 ½ t coarse salt
- 4 Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut into ¼ inch pieces (I did slices…)
- 1 ½ c mayonnaise
- ¼ c apple-cider vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t celery seed
- ½ t freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a large ice bath; set aside. Bring a stockpot of water to a boil; add 2 tablespoons of salt and the onions; simmer until onions are translucent but still firm, about 4 minutes. Transfer to ice bath to cool. Drain; pat dry with paper towels.
- Transfer to a large bowl; mix with mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of salt, and pepper. Serve or refrigerate, covered with plastic, up to 2 days.
(Martha Stewart Annual Recipes, 2003) Martha-Stewart-Living-Annual-Recipes available on Amazon